Monday, July 23, 2012

Dinner Plate Special!



Many parents I have talked to say getting their kids to eat is a chore or not a problem. Above is a picture of what a dinner plate should resemble...except the vegetables can be cut in half and replaced by fruit. Kids mirror our behaviors, we all know that, and if you eat something or reject something your child is most likely going to do the same. In my house my kids eat sauerkraut, broccoli, raw spinach, cabbage etc. I have learned to make it and introduce it in different forms, cooked, raw, sauced. I also make it a point to always put it on my kids plates regardless if they like it or not. The child's taste buds change and develop as they get older, so by reintroducing it to them, they might develop to like the vegetable or tolerate it with time. I always tell me kids if they don't like it try one bite and I will leave you alone. It works and it has been successful in 2 of my 3 kids love of veggies. In fact they eat them first and many times ask for seconds!
Second part of this topic is to talk about meals. You all know I plan meals, clip coupons and shop for every meal in my house from Breakfast, Lunch, Snack and Dinner. It's a rare occasion we even get fast food. So I always ask input from my children on dinner ideas. My youngest always wants Mexican so I can guarantee those night she is going to eat her weight in food, my sons is Pizza and my oldest is hot dogs. But they do like other foods too. So asking them input on a menu ensures they are going to feel in control and eat more than if they had no input. I also let kids help prepare the salad and veggies and they eat more too because they helped make it. A Sense of pride goes a long way at meal time, Trust me!
Third and last topic, the plate above is like a golden rule in my house. Silly rule to some but a rule I even grew up with at home. I CANNOT stress the importance of feeding your kids with nutritious meals. Your their parents/guardians and they trust that you are teaching them and taking care of them. So if you wouldn't tell your kids 2+2 is 5, then you shouldn't short change your kids on a healthy meal. Canned veggies, frozen/fresh veggies don't cost that much more or they even cost less than sides and proteins. If you served a healthy meal with all the groups you will eat less, and spend less on your food bill. If a 50 cent apple or orange can fill you up cheaper than a couple cheeseburgers from a fast food joint, the same goes with meals. So eat wholesome, nutritious meals and you will have a happy healthy family, belly and wallet. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment